Is there anything better than a big bowl of chili on a cold night? Don't forget the cornbread with it! Chili is one of those dinners that doesn't take a long time to make. It's literally a dump and cook type dinner. The “hardest” part is browning the ground meat.
There are many different recipes for chili. You can make it with or without beans, different types of meat etc. I actually went on Pinterest and searched for a simple chili recipe. I found the 5 ingredient chili crockpot recipe from The Typical Mom blog. In her recipe, she uses her crockpot to make the chili.
My husband eats off of texture and he doesn't like crockpot meals. He claims they all come out too mushy. I don't think that's the case but I also have a sense of taste. Unfortunately, he lost his sense of taste so he eats off of texture and memory.
The great part about this recipe is it can be made on the stove or crockpot. Since my husband doesn't like the crockpot, I cook it on the stove.
You probably have the ingredients already for this 5 ingredient chili recipe.
- Ground beef/turkey (about a 1 lb.)
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- 1 Small can of tomato sauce
- 1 Can of kidney/red beans
- 1 packet of “chili seasoning” (any brand, I get what's on sale)
- * If you don't have the packet just add 1 tsp. Lawrys + 1 Tsp. dehydrated onions
These are the ingredients that Justine (original creator) used in her recipe. As with chili or any recipe really you can add/change a few ingredients to change it up some. I change it up a tad with the following ingredients:
- I season the ground meat with our Italian seasoning as I brown it.
- Instead of chili seasoning sometimes I use cheesy taco seasoning.
- Basil, garlic & oregano tomato sauce instead of plain tomato sauce.
The directions for this chili are so simple. It's great for a busy night, or to have the kids (or grandkids) help prepare it.
- Cook the ground beef or turkey in a pan and if you like onions I would add diced onions to this mix. (This is where I add the Italian seasoning instead of onions)
- Add this cooked meat, the can of diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and small can of tomato sauce to your crockpot / slow cooker. Mix.
- Add a packet of “chili seasoning” or 1 tsp. Lawry's and dehydrated onions (optional) (I use the cheesy taco mix) to the mix and cook on low all day.
As I mentioned, I don't cook mine in the crockpot. I just let it simmer on the stove for a while to get hot and let the flavors blend together. My go-to chili pot is my Frieling casserole pot. It's non-stick, deep. I could use it to deep fry as well if I wanted. I love one pot meals because they are easy to make and I hate doing the dishes!
This recipe is so good I have to double it all the time for just my husband and I. He would eat the entire pot if I let him!
5 Ingredient Chili
- 1 lb ground meat
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 package chili seasoning If you don't have the packet just add 1 tsp. Lawrys + 1 tsp. dehydrated onions
Cook the ground beef or turkey in a pan and if you like onions I would add diced onions to this mix.
Add this cooked meat, the can of diced tomatoes, kidney beans, and small can of tomato sauce to your crockpot / slow cooker. Mix.
Add a packet of "chili seasoning" or 1 tsp. Lawry's and dehydrated onions (optional) to the mix and cook on low all day.
*I use cheesy taco seasoning.
*Italian seasoning to the ground meat
*Basil, garlic & oregano tomato sauce
*Fire Roasted canned tomatoes