This post may contain editorial samples and/or affiliate links. We may earn a commission on your sales.
Fleas are more than just annoying. They are blood-sucking insects that can cause your dog to get sick, and become extremely itchy. The best way form of flea treatment in dogs is to protect them from becoming infected in the first place. There are many products on the market such as flea & tick wipes and a good quality flea collar.
Not all flea collars are created equal. We have tried different flea treatments for Krypto and none of them worked very well. We've tried the liquid you put on the back of their neck, and we've tried a few different flea collars. Unfortunately, he ended up with fleas anyway. Especially when we used the liquid treatment.
There are many brands on the market that offer flea collars. They range in price, yes I will admit we were using the lower end product at first. Rookie mistake! Now we are using the Seresto 8 Month Flea & Tick Collar. The Seresto is pricer but it's worth it to keep Krypto healthy.
How the Seresto Flea Collar Differs from Competitors.
Unlike other brands that we've used, this flea collar comes in a tin, not a box. The tin can be saved and used to store small items as well. I love that there is no waste saving our landfills.
Fit collar around your pet's neck, allowing for 2 fingers to fit between the collar and your pet's neck to ensure a comfortable, yet snug, fit. Once the collar is properly fitted, cut off any excess collar measuring 1″ or longer. The collar should be worn continuously for the 8 month protection period. Check periodically and adjust fit if necessary, especially if your dog is still rapidly growing. Replace the collar after 8 months for optimal tick and flea protection.
- Veterinarian-recommended prevention treatment kills fleas and ticks on puppies and dogs 7 weeks and older weighing over 18 pounds.
- Starts to repel and kill fleas within 24 hours of initial application and re-infesting fleas within two hours; works on contact with no painful biting required.
- Also repels and kills ticks within 48 hours of initial application and re-infesting ticks within in six hours; works on contact with no painful biting required.
- Easy-to-use, 27.5-inch adjustable collar is odorless and non-greasy; quick-release feature and visibility reflectors provide extra safety.
- Water-resistant formula continues working for up to eight months, even after bathing, swimming and sun exposure.
We are all busy people, I can barely remember what I need to do next week let alone remember 8 months from now. The Seresto flea collar comes with a small sticker. I simply added it to my planner for 7 months from the date we put it on Krypto. This reminds me that in May, I need to purchase a new one to put on him in June. This is perfect timing wise, as fleas and ticks start getting really bad in my area around that time.
Do not be fooled into thinking only Spring/Summer is when you need to protect your dog from fleas and ticks. While warmer weather is the height of the flea and tick season, they are out all year long.